When you browse through the internet and visit different sites, your browser saves several contents and data in temporary storage. This temporary storage is called "cache". To get rid of the fluff you should clear the cache from time to time. In the following step by step guides we will show you how to achieve that in different browsers.
1. Delete the browser cache with a shortcut.
The fastest way to get rid of the cache data in Google Chrome is the option "Clear Browser cache". You can access this function with the following shortcut:
- Press the keys [Ctrl], [Shift] and [Del]. Be sure you press all the keys at once.
- A new window opens: "Clear Browser cache".
- Here you can select in the upper dropdown-menu, for which time period you want to delete the cache data. You can select between "last hour", "last day", "last week", "last four weeks" or "all".
- If you want to delete all cache date, select "all".
- Check the box in front of "Images and Files in Cache".
- Submit your selection by clicking the "Delete Browser data" Button.
- Reload your site.
2. Clear browser cache manually
If you don't want to use the keyboard shortcut to call the function "Clear Browser data" you can access it manually:
- Click on the "Menu" in the upper right corner of Google Chrome and Open the Browser setting. You can recognise the menu by the three stacked dots.
- Next, you select the option "more tools".
- In the next step click on "Delete Browser data".
- Now you can follow the steps from the description above and select the specific time period (Step 3).
1. Clear browser data in Microsoft Edge with the keyboard shortcut.
- Press the keys [Ctrl], [Shift] and [Del].
- A new Window opens. Select the option "temporary services and files".
- Confirm your selection by clicking on the "delete" button.
2. Delete the browser cache in Microsoft Edge through the menu.
To delete the browser cache in Microsoft Edge through the menu, follow these steps:
- Click on the "Menu" in the upper right corner of Microsoft Edge and open the Browser setting. You can recognise the menu by the three stacked dots..
- Then go to the "Privacy, search and services" item in the left menu
- Here, under "Clear browser data", click on "Choose what to clear" and a pop-up window will appear.
- Select the desired Time range and check the "Cached images and files" option. Confirm the selection by clicking the "Clear now" button.
1. Fast delete with the keyboard shortcut
For deleting the browser cache with a shortcut in Firefox please follow these steps:
- Press following keys at once: [Ctrl], [Shift] and [Del]. A Popup opens with the title "Clear recent history".
- In the dropdown menu, you can define the time range you want to delete the cache. You have the following options: last hour, last two hours, last four hours, today or all.
- To delete all data, select "All" from the dropdown-menu...
- Afterwards, click on the arrow next to "Details" and toggle the different possibilities to chose which data should be deleted. If you want to delete only the cache, then only mark the checkbox next to "Cache".
- With a click on the button "clear now" you delete the cache.
- Reload the site afterwards
2. Delete the cache with the window option in Firefox
Alternatively you can also clear the cache also through the window-menu. Please follow these steps:
- Press the key "Alt" on your keyboard. The window menu from Firefox opens.
- In the menu, "History" select "Clear Recent History…"
- Now the Popup-Window opens like described in the instructions above.
- Follow the steps above from the second step.